Guidance on GCSE Coursework
Do’s and Don’ts for Top Coursework Grades at Grainville School
- Find somewhere quiet to concentrate when working.
- Ask for help if you are not sure about something. Teachers are more than happy to help.
- Write clearly and make sure that all your punctuation, grammar and spelling is correct.
- Plan and research a project carefully, it will also help if it is a topic you are interested in.
- The golden rule - do not leave it till the last minute, it will only be rushed!
- Go over the word limit, it will not give extra marks.
- Copy text from a book, websites etc, people will know!
- Try to watch your favourite television programme at the same time!
The work which you submit for assessment must be your own. However, you may:
- Quote from books or any other sources, including the internet: if you do, you must state which ones you have used; receive guidance from someone other than your teacher: if so you must tell your teacher, who will record the nature of the assistance given to you.
- If you copy from someone else or allow another candidate to copy from you, or if you cheat in any other way, you will be disqualified from at least the subject concerned.
- When you hand in your coursework or portfolio for assessment, you will be required to sign that you have understood and followed the coursework and portfolio requirements for the subject.
- Keep to the deadlines your teachers set.
- Take care of your work and keep it safe.
- Ask your teacher if you need any guidance.
- If you have been absent and have any problems with completing your coursework or portfolio, talk to your teacher.
What help can my family and friends give me?
The same principles apply to help from family and friends, and they should not give you any more help than your teachers can. The danger is that, while your teachers know what is and is not allowed and will tell you if they cannot help, others won’t be so well informed and may give you more help than is allowed. That puts the pressure on you to decide how much help to ask other people for.
What other rules about coursework do I need to bear in mind?
The other key rules focus on copying. Copying work from friends is obviously forbidden, though there are types of coursework where working with others, or using shared results is part of the normal process. Your teachers will tell you what to do in that case – just acknowledging the contribution of others to a specific part of the work is usually enough.